Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Knowledge about Dictionary That You Must Know

As an English major, I have been using electronic dictionary as a tool to look up words because it is fast and convenient. However, after viewing the article ”你不可不知的字典知識,” I found that print dictionaries actually provide many more examples, idioms and phrases. Though a print dictionary might not be so convenient as an electronic one, a print dictionary contains a CD-ROM which you can use in the computer, the tool almost accessible 24 hours a day, and which saves flipping work while looking up a word and holds even greater database than an electronic dictionary. Actually, I have three of the five dictionary kings-Longman, Collins Cobuild and Cambridge-on CD-ROM. When I cannot understand one word by the definition in one of the three dictionaries, I resort to another one. More often than not the definition of the word can be understood. The three dictionaries really works well for me and I believe I can upgrade my English proficiency as long as I keep making good use of it.

2 comments:

  1. you have three! As I remeber correctly, they are very expensive.Are those pirate copy?? don't make we wrong, that is just a reasonable surmise.cc

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dictionaries are now cheapter. If i'm correct, it's about six or seven hundred somthing, for paperback with CD Rom; a very good investment, i think.

    ReplyDelete